The Tour

Rights and Reproductions

Homewood Museum provides images for educational presentations, professional research, print and electronic publications, and media projects. All requests for images must be made in writing to the Director-Curator. All requests are processed in a timely manner, according to the order in which they are received.

Contact:
Julie Rose
Homewood Museum
The Johns Hopkins University
3400 N. Charles Street
Baltimore, MD 21218
tel: 410.516.5589
fax: 410.516.7859

3400 N. Charles St.
Baltimore, MD 21218
410.516.5589

homewoodmuseum@jhu.edu
← Back to the tour
The Carroll Family

Homewood has direct ties to at least three generations of Maryland’s prominent Carroll family. Charles Carroll, Jr. (b. 1775), the son of Charles Carroll of Carrollton (the last surviving signer of the Declaration of Independence), married Harriet Chew Carroll (b. 1775) of Philadelphia in 1800. The young couple moved from Philadelphia to Baltimore in 1801. They spent their summers at Homewood, their country estate, and winters in the City of Baltimore. The couple had seven children, though two sons died in infancy. Their eldest child was Charles Carroll of Doughoregan (b. 1801). Their four daughters were Elizabeth Henrietta (b. 1802), Mary Sophia (b. 1804), Harriet Juliana (b. 1808), and Louisa Catherine (b. 1809). Charles and Harriet separated in 1816. With assistance from her father-in-law, Harriet resettled in Philadelphia with their four daughters while their son was educated at a series of prestigious schools. Charles Carroll of Doughoregan returned to live at Homewood after his father’s death in 1825. After his grandfather’s death in 1832, Charles, his wife, Mary Diggs Lee (b. 1799), and their children—their son, Charles Lee Carroll (b. 1830), became the 37th governor of Maryland—moved to Doughoregan Manor, the Carroll family estate in Howard County. Charles Carroll of Doughoregan sold Homewood to William Wyman in 1838.